Winthrop Comprehensive Plan
Winthrop, MN | Public Works
ISG worked with the City of Winthrop to develop an updated comprehensive plan focused on providing an actionable set of community improvements to public facilities and infrastructure.
With an existing comprehensive plan, the City of Winthrop wanted to create an updated plan and strategy for completing infrastructure, land use, and community visioning projects.
To assist the City in providing a long-term plan, ISG prepared updates to the City of Winthrop’s 2008 Comprehensive Plan. The plan defines the City’s goals for growth and development and provides tools which enable them to realize these goals. The planning process involved examining a wide variety of issues and topics to lay the groundwork and proactively plan for the future of the community. The plan not only focused on physical aspects of development including land use and infrastructure expansion but also addressed sustainability and community vision and character. To achieve this, ISG prepared a comprehensive plan that included the following:
- Created a community-wide survey to gauge public opinion on various topics, identified areas for improvement, developed priorities, and incorporated public input into the plan
- Focused on preserving and promoting established neighborhoods while seeking to strengthen the infrastructure within the housing system
- Recommended enhancements to the development of the downtown district
- Recommended creating open space that provides additional opportunities for healthy activities and programs
- Encouraged a regular program of infrastructure assessments, rehabilitation, and upgrades to protect the City’s investment in infrastructure and set the community up for future growth and expansion