Lake Crystal ramping up water quality improvement efforts

Nov 14, 2019


November 14, 2019 (Lake Crystal, MN) — Water quality concerns in Lake Crystal are being addressed thanks to a group effort and the addition of a phosphorus removal system installed in Lake Crystal which is the first to be installed in the state.

Construction is underway for the installment of a phosphorus removal system at county ditch 56, an outlet into Crystal Lake.

“What the filter is comprised of is steel slag aggregates, it’s recycled material high in iron and calcium, so it acts as a magnet to those phosphorus molecules. It’ll come through the drain tile, enter through the filter tank and it will bind with those molecules and not release them,” said Blue Earth Soil and Water Conservation District conservation specialist, Jake Fritz.

The filter is proven in other areas to remove more than 90% of phosphorus in the water it treats.

“So of the water that we’ll be treating, we’re hoping to have up to 95% removal of dissolved phosphorus, so it’ll be really great for the water quality in Lake Crystal,” said ISG graduate engineer, Bailey Griffin.

The addition of the filter was made possible by a state grant received in 2016.

“This is a 75% cost share, the other 25% is to the land owner, in this case the Blue Earth County Drainage Authority is the landowner, the remaining 25% is in-kind contribution from Gustafson Drainage and Crystal Waters Project,” said Fritz.

Nutrient management is a common practice to improve water quality.

"Phosphorus is the limiting nutrient in the eutrophication in lakes so the less chance we have of phosphorus entering the lakes there's a greater chance we're not going to see those toxic algae blooms happen."

Group efforts made the year-long project a reality.

“Gustafson Drainage that has been kind enough to help us construct it, Blue Earth County Drainage, SWCD with Blue Earth County, the City of Lake Crystal and Crystal Waters Project have been really great to work with,” said Griffin.

Also involved in the project is ISG as an engineering consultant. The hopes are that construction will be completed on Friday.

To read original article from KEYC, click here.

News

Green Bay Firm Selected for Design and Construction of Foxconn Place Green Bay

November 25, 2019 – ISG and DeLeers Construction, Inc., together with Foxconn Technology Group (Foxconn), today announced that work will begin for the design and construction of Foxconn Place Green Bay’s 4,800 square-foot second floor located at the WaterMark Building in downtown Green Bay. After a stringent review of competitive bid submissions, Foxconn awarded ISG, a nationally recognized architecture, engineering, environmental and planning firm, and DeLeers Construction, Inc., the contracts. Both firms were chosen for their wealth of experience and understanding of the local Green Bay area.
Read More

Lake Crystal ramping up water quality improvement efforts

November 14, 2019 – LAKE CRYSTAL, Minn. (KEYC) — Water quality concerns in Lake Crystal are being addressed thanks to a group effort and the addition of a phosphorus removal system installed in Lake Crystal which is the first to be installed in the state.
Read More

$15 Million BUILD Grant Announced for Central Iowa Water Trails

November 7, 2019 – The Des Moines Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), together with its partners working to implement Central Iowa Water Trails, today announces its receipt of a $25 million grant from the Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development, or BUILD, grant program of the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Read More

Here is the First Look at Expanded La Crosse Center

October 19, 2019 – The La Crosse Center Board of Directors and ISG, the design firm in charge of the La Crosse Center renovation, held a public input session Thursday to present the latest plans for the project.
Read More

Fargo North Breaks in New Turf Field

October 17, 2019 – As the 2019 football season nears it's end, the Fargo North Spartans have yet to play a true home game. The long awaited moment is finally here as the Spartans have been practicing on their new turf field all week long and the players know it's a luxury they've been missing.
Read More

Take a Look at the Ramada Remodel Plans for Downtown Waterloo

October 17, 2019 — Developers planning a $10 million renovation of the Ramada hotel said they were attracted by city’s downtown revitalization efforts.
Read More
Expertise

One firm, one team, multi-disciplinary solutions in architecture, engineering, environmental, and planning.

Contact Us

10 offices and 300+ professionals with clients nationwide, at your service.

News + Events

ISG ingenuity at work for clients, communities, and partners across the U.S.