Derek Johnson, PE
One of Derek’s most valuable skills as a leader is his ability to foster open communication while collaborating with project teams, clients, governing bodies, and communities. As ISG Vice President and office leader in Des Moines, he is known for building lasting client relationships and ensuring that every project receives full support from the firm’s multi-disciplinary team. As a former senior municipal engineer in Iowa, Derek brings a unique perspective to project partnership, knowing how to best support communities through planning and design. His municipal experience is a significant asset for partners, as he can provide clients with the tactical expertise they need and serve as a trusted advisor when designing capital improvement projects, conducting compliance reviews, and navigating regulatory projects.
Derek's 11+ years of experience in private development and municipal infrastructure projects is complemented by a visionary and strategic leadership style that has directly supported firm growth. Additional dynamic leadership efforts include the following:
- Collaboration with communities to get the most out of infrastructure budget by taking a big-picture approach.
- Broad knowledge of review processes and regulatory requirements across various markets.
- Ability to work ISG design team, clients, and partners to provide creative design solutions.
- Well-versed in the Department of Transportation and other state and federal funding mechanisms.
- Firm and office leadership, and youth mentorship.
Communication | Responsibility | Arranger | Significance | Maximizer
East Village Board of Directors, Former Member
ISG Board of Directors, Secretary
Ankeny Stream Cleanup, Volunteer
Ankeny Stormwater Stakeholders, Former Member
Iowa League of Cities, Partner Program
Iowa League of Cities Environmental Coordination Committee, Member
ISGenius, Former Member
Iowa State University, Career Fair and Partnership Lead
Des Moines Area Community College, Career Fair and Partnership Lead
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Iowa State University – Ames, IA